Maintaining your car should be a year-round practice. However, poor road conditions and frigid temperatures make proper maintenance in the winter much more important. The good news is that winter car maintenance in Gary, IN doesn’t have to be a huge chore! These are a few easy things that you or a professional should take care of this winter:
- Antifreeze: As the name suggests, antifreeze ensures your engine’s components don’t freeze up and stop working on cold winter days. Antifreeze can last up to five years (or 150,000 miles) before it needs to be changed, but it’s better to be safe than sorry. We recommend having your radiator flushed and refilled if it’s been a few years since you’ve gotten new antifreeze.
- Oil change: As temperatures plummet, your motor oil will start to get thicker and run slower. For this reason, it’s crucial that you have your oil changed and swapped out for lower-viscosity oils designed for cold temperatures. Come in and talk to one of our mechanics to see which motor oil is right for your vehicle.
- Battery: It’s harder for your battery to start up on a cold winter morning than it is on a hot summer afternoon, so this is the time of year in which most battery malfunctions occur. Your battery can last up to five years, but it can quickly fail once it gets up there in age. It’s not a bad idea to bring your car to a mechanic to have it tested and to clean off any corrosion on the battery terminals.
- Windshield: You can’t overlook the importance of proper visibility—especially in the middle of a snowstorm. Though it sounds simple, replacing your windshield wipers and washer fluid is an essential part of car maintenance in Gary, IN. Additionally, make sure you have an ice scraper in your vehicle to ensure you can easily remove ice and frost from your windshield each morning.
- Tires: Even if you have a four-wheel-drive SUV, we recommend switching out your summer tires for winter ones. Winter tires have deeper tread to give you better traction on the road, and they’re made with a softer rubber that won’t be negatively impacted by cold temperatures. Our team can put your winter tires on for you, and we carry a wide range of the top name brands if you don’t already own a set.
- Brakes: Proper brakes can be the difference between a safe commute and getting in an accident on your way to work. Since ice, snow and road salt all take a toll on your entire braking system, we strongly advise that you bring your vehicle in for a brake inspection. We’ll be able to identify whether or not you need new brake pads, or if they’re likely to make it through the winter without any problems.
There’s never been a better time to come to our shop for car maintenance in Gary, IN. Whether you need a simple oil change or some more extensive work, make Miller Brakes and Mufflers, Inc. your go-to auto shop. Give us a call or stop by one of our two convenient locations to get a quote today.
Categorised in: Auto Maintenance
This post was written by Writer