One of the most frustrating situations you can find yourself in is jumping in your car to drive somewhere, turning the key and not having your car start. One of the most common reasons for a lifeless car is a dead car battery, and you’ll have to get it replaced at an auto repair shop in Gary, IN before you can get where you need to go.
With summer fast approaching, you need to make sure your battery is ready for the heat. Problems with your battery can also cause other vehicle issues that can result in more repair costs. Save yourself the trouble of dealing with a dead battery by noticing the symptoms before it happens. Here are seven signs that your car battery is failing and you should have it replaced:
- Takes a long time to start: Your car battery starts the engine. If you put your key in the ignition, turn it and the engine crank is slow and won’t start right away, you likely have a battery issue.
- Check engine or battery light: If the battery light on your dashboard is lit, have your electrical system inspected, because it may be a battery problem. Also, the check engine light being on can sometimes indicate that your battery power is low.
- Swollen battery case: Extreme heat or cold can affect the battery and cause it to malfunction or die. If the sides of the battery case look swollen or bulging, it’s a good sign that you should take your car to an auto repair shop in Gary, IN for replacement.
- Weird smell: Car batteries can short, overcharge or freeze and emit gas. If you notice a rotten egg smell from the hood of your car, have it inspected as soon as possible. Not only might there be battery problems, but sulfuric acid can cause damage to other parts of the vehicle, too.
- Old age: Car batteries typically last two to three years, depending on use, length of drives and the temperature. It’s a good rule of thumb to have your battery checked near or at the three-year mark. If you don’t know when your battery was installed, have it inspected to make sure you don’t run into unexpected issues.
- Electrical accessory issues: If the electrical components of your car like the headlights, radio and power seats are malfunctioning, especially when you use them at the same time, it might indicate that your battery is low on power to run these accessories.
- You’ve had to jump it a lot: If you’ve had to jump your battery a lot in the past, it’s a good sign that you should have it replaced. Even if the battery is relatively new, jumping is hard on the battery and can shorten its lifespan. If you’ve jumped it three or more times in a week, have it inspected.
Make sure you don’t find yourself in a frustrating situation this summer with a dead car battery. If your car is showing any of these signs, take your car in to an auto repair shop in Gary, IN for inspection or replacement. Miller Brakes and Mufflers, Inc. is your one-stop shop for auto repair. We provide free estimates and premier services from our ASE-certified technicians for any of your automotive needs. Visit us and make Miller Brakes and Mufflers, Inc. your trusted auto repair shop in Gary, IN today!
Categorised in: Auto Repair Shop
This post was written by Writer